Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Tuesday, September 21st, 2010 - Rest Day...and thoughts to ponder

For starters, if you don't know or haven't heard of Freddy C. check'em out

Crossfit One World

So yesterday, I did something I've never done before.  I hit 2 metcon's at 70% intensity.  I always try to give them my all, but I have a competition coming up Saturday.  I wasn't feeling my best and I wanted to save something for Saturday's FGB. 

19 months ago when I started Crossfit, my WODs favored conditition rather than strength.  Perhaps this was the overall nature of Crossfit and maybe I was just flat out a newbie.  I'll admit it, I needed the conditioning as I was a fatty.

Lately though, I must say I find that strength is superior to conditioning.  Conditioning comes way easier.  I didn't have some revolutionary vision one day and come up with this on my own.  Johnny Awesome has said it before.  To back up Johnny, Freddie C mentions it on Aug. 30th 2010:

http://oneworld40plus.wordpress.com/

I got the idea to back off my conditioning WOD's yesterday from Freddie C.  I gotta say after two WODs yesterday, I feel pretty good.

What's interesting is that I gave both WODs a lack of intensity and I was still competitive on both WODs.  I'm pretty pumped for Saturday's FGB.

It's my 3rd competition in 3 months.  I think I'm getting a pretty good idea of how to perpare mentally and physically for events.  The last two events, I didn't have my best legs with me.  Saturday, I plan on crushing me some box jumps to help my FGB score.

Direct quote from Freddie on Aug. 2nd:

"I can be honest with you and say that I train conditioning workouts at about 80% of my capacity. Why?? I train 5 days or more a week. If I try and kill every workout, I am wrecked! I save the 100% efforts for competition. In the long run (I’ve been CrossFitting for over four years now) I am always seeing my numbers on the upswing following this protocol. Try it!! I’d rather workout five days a week than workout only twice a week because I ruined myself going too hard…."

No comments:

Post a Comment