Saturday, March 12, 2011

Friday, March, 11th, 2011 - Farm Boy Strength...yeah don't have that

Spent 8 hours in a hands on class for work. "Forcible Entry"

Probably one of my favorite subjects. Crossfit Football touched on something last week that didn't occur to me. Welbourn came across a few teammates in preseason, one guy repped 500+ pounds another guy struggled with 225lbs. Guess what on the football field the guy struggling with 225lbs MURDERED the stronger athlete all day long. Come to find out the guy struggling with 225lbs grew up on a farm. While he never worked out with barbells and dumbells, he lifted alot of real world shit. Well today I experienced it first hand.

All the barbell work I've done over the course of the last 2 years didn't mean shit today. Welbourn also stated that lifting weights didn't help him get better at playing football. Playing football got him better at football. We'll I've mentioned the same thing about firefighting in the past. I'm not sure why I thought barbell strength would help out today, because it didn't.

Anyways the day consisted of using power saws to cut rebar, breaking open metal doors and picking locks.

Quick video of the instructor demonstrating forcible entry. We used this same door simulator. Forcing this door open is the equivalent of a door with about 8 deadbolt/padlocks on it.







Anyways...back to Farm Boy Strength.  CFFB suggested that you rotate in your workouts some type of physically demanding task related to your sport/profession.  I'll be trying that... 
On to the metcon...so after 8 hours of class, I didn't have time to make it into CFWC.  I did todays metcon alone in the garage.

5 Rounds for time
7 135lb Push Jerks
20 Air squats

8:55 rx'd

Being the deconditioned athlete that I am, I thought for sure I'd be 10+ minutes.  I was a happy man when I looked at my watch.  5-6 metcons under my belt and I'm starting to come around again.  I kind of figured the top times in gym would be in the 3-4 minute range and I was dead on.  Something to note, after the first few reps of the jerk, I was thinking it felt heavier then it should.  Spread my grip out another thumb length and I did the last 7 jerks of the 5th round unbroken.

No comments:

Post a Comment