Thursday, April 7, 2011

Wednesday, April 7th, 2011 - Farmer strength? Field Work?

A few posts back, I mentioned "farm boy strength" and that it was something I didn't have.  "Farm boy strength" being just old fashion strength.  I feel that barbell strength doesn't have a direct translation to carrying odd shaped objects or just old fashion work.  Got these cues from John Welbourn.

My abs felt pretty sore, I guess it was from the front squats and squat cleans.  Too bad, because CFWC had a pretty badass WOD programmed today.  HSPU's and cleans.  I would have loved to give it a go.  Quite frankly it looked downright scary.

So I spent most of the day in a Hazardous Materials class for work.  I could have scooted over to do the wod, but I was feeling tired and I knew that I had physical fire drill from 7pm-10pm that night.  Wasn't sure what initially was planned...but it was the good ol' air pack consumption drill.  This drill just pisses me off.  There is no true measurement of what excellent, average or poor performance is with this drill.  Take a quick peek of this video I found on Youtube.  Gives you an idea of what the test consists of.  Guys walking at a slow pace doing minimal work.



I took quite the opposite approach.  I treated it as a metcon/amrap.  I ran and worked as hard as I could the entire time.  I went through the course numerous times and I was breathing like I just did "Helen".

On average our airpacks are supposed to last 30 minutes.  However, it all depends on how hard your are working.  I made mine last a little over 12 minutes.  My thoughts on what this drill teaches...a ringing bell goes off when you have approx. 1/4 of a bottle left.  When you get really low, the bell stops ringing and you only have 6-10 breaths left.  Your scba mask starts to suck to your face.  It can cause extreme anxiety.  It's a feeling that you want to experience many times, so you don't freak out if it really happens in a live fire.  Point being, don't ever get into that situation.

All in all, Thursday morning I woke up a little tired and legs feeling a little sluggish.  Some light rowing tonight and I'm back at the firehouse on Friday morning.  Just enjoying the day off.

No comments:

Post a Comment